Thread: A vision thing
View Single Post
Old September 24, 2010, 09:29 AM   #15
JimL

Quote:
Most people (myself included) implicitly accept the false dichotomy that one must exclude awareness of some things to focus on others.
Based on my own very personal experience I must add a caution.

The ability or inability to attend to multiple things, often referred to as multitasking, is _HUGELY_ varied from one person to another. There are two things involved. The tendency to get deeply engrossed in a single thing and simply shut out other things -and- the straight up ability of the brain to attend to many things.

Personally I have had both the tendency to become engrossed AND a lack of multitasking ability all my life. I have often marveled at doctors who could talk to 2 or 3 patients at once on the phone.

You may assume that one can train oneself to simply notice something outside a current task. That's the first issue.

Factually the lack of multitasking ability can be very pronounced individually, moreover people who multitask easily and well often refuse to even believe that someone else cannot - and label them as lazy. (This is seen on computer forums, blogs and news groups constantly. Geniuses very often aren't smart enough to comprehend not being a genius.) There is almost nothing that can be done about a person's brain to make it multitask better. It is a hard wired thing and training has very marginal effect on a true "one-track" brain.

JimL

Page generated in 0.03791 seconds with 8 queries