View Single Post
Old January 20, 2008, 06:13 AM   #26
Martyn4802

Look, The Tourist makes very good points here. There are a whole lot of guys on those knife forums who are typewiter knife professionals, who have never made a knife, and have not the experience to be making statements that are of value. Some guys are very knowledeable who never made a knife, and you should be paying attention to what they say. Tourists point is be careful in who you listen to. Good advice.
I started making knives in 1980, and have made 500 so far. I have a shop full of all the machines required to make high class knives, which I make. This was an after hours endeavour as I had a full time job. But, there are other non-makers who know a whole lot more about knives that are available to us users than I do. I respect their comments about knives. They know what steels are used in what brand of knife, and that info is valuable when selecting a knife.
Incidentally, I've made a bunch of knives out of CPM 440V, and have not had any problems with brittleness, and blade chipping. I use Paul Bos for all of my heat treating, so maybe the blade hardness is the problem with chipping, I don't know. Also, CPM 440V steel is now S60V.

Martyn

Page generated in 0.03210 seconds with 8 queries