Thread: What If...
View Single Post
Old September 12, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Shep

What If...

My "better half" and I often work in the "field", a mile or more from our trucks in the Missouri River Breaks and Badlands; areas where there have been over 116 Mt. Lion sightings in the last year (39 Verified by F & G). We 've both seen fresh tracks and came across fresh track and blood on the brush, but didn't see the lion or what it killed.

Here's my question / concern: She recognizes the need to be armed but has proven to be recoil-sensitive. She can't handle the Marlin .30-30 I asked her to carry - which may be just as well. So, I bought her a Ranch Rifle in .223/5.56 which she's learning to shoot well.

Assuming she can bring it to bear and fires til a threat stops - IF it stops - will this rifle /round do the job of adequately protecting her?

We know that more/bigger is better. That's why I carry a Redhawk but, as I said, she can't hit anything with a higher recoiling arm and I can't always be with her. (Though we're working on her flinch)

Anyone here have firsthand knowledge of the efficacy of 5.56 64 gr HP or similar on this threat?

Many thanks!

Page generated in 0.02961 seconds with 8 queries