View Single Post
Old October 22, 2008, 10:46 AM   #64
44capnball

Buzzcook, you make some good points, but maybe I wasn't clear on mine. The infringements you have seen in the past few years are the kind that can be argued away. "Those aren't really infringements, they're helping us catch the bad guys".

What I mean by "truly radical infringements" would include your neighbors going on extended vacation in the middle of the night without telling anyone.

I know. You think it "ain't never gonna happen". The gun grabbers and their fellow travelers have some pretty far out social re-engineering ideas. A disarmed populace is fair game for any sort of radical, crazy, or idiotic idea their leaders wish to try.

Fact is, a total gun ban opens the door wide for various types of craziness. To give you an example, there is a strong international following for the ideas put forth by the "Spaceship Earth" crowd. They used to talk about reducing the world's population to 2 billion. Some people are nuts, but that doesn't disqualify them from holding public office.

Quote:
If they can afford to lose three $100k airplanes in six weeks they can afford to find clever ways to smuggle guns into the country too.

If they do smuggle in guns, long guns are more likely to be military (select fire) weapons because they are probably easier to get. They'll most likely be cheaper than buying a FA M16 or AK-47 than we have to pay today. Why risk long term imprisonment for a semi-auto gun when you can sell a full-auto for $300 more? Ammo would be from the same source, obviously.
BillCA, right on the money. Look what happened in Jamaica. It's an island. You can't legally own guns or ammunition, not even one bullet. The street thugs can get full autos, no problem. It's practically a war zone.

Brazil limits the types and calibers of guns you can own. I once knew a guy who had lived there. He said the drug dealers had FAL's (illegal, natch), and the police were so dangerous that a lot of people asked drug dealers for protection. I have heard this idea echoed in news articles and elsewhere.

This from a 2004 article at terradaily.com, re: Hurrican Ivan:
Quote:
In Jamaica, police said they shot dead at least one looter, and two officers were wounded in shootouts with other looters on the Caribbean island nation of 2.7 million.

Looting was a growing problem in Jamaica's cities. Police said bands of armed men roamed the streets of Kingston and Montego Bay, ransacking shops and businesses, exchanging gunfire with police
Wait a second, how could they exchange gunfire with police when there is a 100% gun and ammo ban in Jamaica?? How were there armed men roaming the streets??

A gun ban in the USA would pave the way for a human rights disaster on a terrible scale.

Last edited by 44capnball; October 22, 2008 at 11:51 AM.

Page generated in 0.04031 seconds with 8 queries