View Single Post
Old August 31, 2012, 08:35 PM   #73
tkglazie

I had an interesting thing happen with the FCD today. I picked up my first batch of hard cast .45 bullets and loaded some 200gr LSWC .452" diameter to try out. The bullets seated fine (I seat and remove the bellmouth at station 3, then FCD/taper crimp to .469/.470 at station 4), but when I ran the cartridge into the FCD it went it hard. quite hard, actually. I didnt pull any but I guarantee the bullet was being swaged .001"-.002". I can get this particular bullet locally and cheaply from a person that I care to do business with.

I didnt worry about it until seeing the results and I am glad I didnt. I tested 4 loads and all 4 of them would have been acceptable, and I will have to retest to determine which is the best of 2 of them. Both of the good load were making ragged holes at 25'.

I am very pleased. I can get this particular bullet locally and cheaply from a person that I care to do business with. I dont mind using a bit more muscle to run it through the FCD every time if the results are as good as I saw today, that's for sure

As with anything to do with reloading, what works for one gun may or may not work for another. I am sure glad I have an FCD available to test with each handgun caliber I load for. It is a good tool, and if helps any of my loads, I am glad to have it.

Page generated in 0.03257 seconds with 8 queries