View Single Post
Old November 25, 2006, 07:21 PM   #22
Long Path

I purposefully set up the .257 Roberts for my wife's first deer hunt. We used under-loaded 100g Ballistic Tips moseying along at about all of 2500 fps. The S. Central Texas whitetail doe never knew the difference between it and a romp-em, stomp-em Magnum; she collapsed in her tracks from a 100 yard shot.

The next doe my wife took, she INSISTED that she use the same rifle. That doe she shot at 140 yards, and she was confused as to why the doe ran. We found it about 40 yards away, crumpled up dead.

My wife, you see, loves to practice with that .257. She has no concern for the recoil, even though I've since been having her shoot full power (120g @ 2800+) loads. The fact that she's thinking about trigger control and shot placement and not about recoil means that she's 2 for 2 shots for deer, and has the confidence to take more.

I'm a big believer in keeping shots within limits for a neophyte, but not developing unnecessary flinches, either.

Page generated in 0.02464 seconds with 8 queries