View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013, 02:03 PM   #25
Fishing_Cabin

I don't think first responder is a correct term...

Typically here, those folks who witness an accident, or crime, are called "initial responder(s)" since they just acted on what they just initially witnessed, each from his/her own perspective, and with his/own level of training/experience do something of some level to respond and give aid. This could be any number of people... Its the group that is there, and either choose to, or not to, intervene. I repeatedly have known these people to also be called "good Samaritan)s)" also.

A first responder here, is one who is tasked with being in the group of the first units dispatched to an incident. Secondary response are those second dispatched, etc, going in to the mutual aid and availability for the needed response.

I am confused on the need for a term to win the public opinion over, instead of solidarity and proper actions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Sutton
Stress:

First Response

Service to Others

Training

Volunteerism

Good Citizenship

What you do for them

etc.
This is a start to a long slippery slope, at least in my mind... The ones that stick out to me the most.

Service to others - How is this defined? I know several folks who have a CCW but not give an owl hoot about helping others, and others that are very willing to help others. There is doubtful a way to prove a level of service to others.

Training - If your going to sell a level of training to the general public, their would not only have to be a minimum standard, but also various levels after that which are mutually recognized and accepted. This would be a large issue.

Volunteerism - Same as service to others above.

What you do for them - Ok, how is it going to be proved what a person with a ccw does for them? If someone with a ccw steps in and stops a violent death by shooting the suspect, you may have earned some credibility from the victim, but yet you just lost the family of the suspect.

Page generated in 0.02631 seconds with 8 queries