View Single Post
Old March 4, 2005, 07:22 PM   #13
Garand Illusion

Quote:
Thus see my thread "CCW what a waste". You can ONLY pull your gun when the perpetrator(s) weapon such as a knife or gun only, is already visible and threatening you(too late IMO) and you can't run.
Don't worry about what you were taught in the concealed carry course. The point of carrying a weapon for personal defense is to defend your life -- so if you use it, it's because you're afraid of being killed and (as the well used phrase goes) it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 (I'm the one who invented that phrase ).

While I could shoot a person intending bodily harm to me or someone else with any weapon I consider to be lethal in colorado, I wouldn't do it automatically. I'd probably just throw the cash drawer open and back away.

As long as he just wanted the cash I'd let him take it. I'm not going to go in front of a jury or even spend a night talking to the police about why I shot somebody over someone else's $$.

but if he pursues me in any manner or becomes threatening ... I'll use the weapon to defend myself.

That's the kind of situation where you're glad to be armed, though -- because it means that YOU'RE setting the tempo of the encounter, not some punk who think's he's the man because he's willing to get violent and has nothing to lose.

BTW -- in general a jury actually works in your favor. A jury is not really limited by the law. As long as your lawyer can convince them to call you not guilty you're not guilty, whether or not you were pushing the envelope of the letter of the law or not.

For that matter, even if you were breaking the letter of the law, a jury can pronounce you innocent.

Page generated in 0.03736 seconds with 8 queries