View Single Post
Old December 12, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
rantingredneck

Confessions of a Flashlight Junkie.......

My name is Rantingredneck and I am addicted to flashlights..........

OK now that we have that first step out of the way, maybe we can move on.

I've always had a thing for guns and related gadgetry, but there is a special place in my heart for flashlights. And I've got a bunch of them. My wife said something the other day along the lines of "You've got more flashlights than I have shoes". I think she's right.

I've got Maglights and Surefires and Brinkmanns and Inovas. I've got Garritys and Gerbers and some that don't even have brand names. They all serve one purpose or another. I've some of them stashed in my truck. Some mounted to walls. Some in toolboxes and tackleboxes and hunting boxes, and well you get the point. I certainly have my favorites though.

There are a few that see more use than others and a few that are just "there" in case they are needed. The ones that see the most use include the Surefire 6P that goes with me to work every day. As I've mentioned before, I am the director of a rehab facility, but I often find myself working with the maintenance people on this or that so a good multitool and flashlight are a must for me. If it's not the Surefire it's the Inova 2AA model that slips easily in my shirt pocket or cargo pocket of my pants. Hell I've even got a Belkin ink pen that has a stylus for my PDA, LED flashlight, and laser pointer all in one. (told ya I was a gadget freak). In my hunting pack is a Gerber Carnivore that sees use when hunting. It really is all it's hyped up to be when you have a thin blood trail to track at night. Blood almost looks 3D under the tracking LED and it has a nice focused Xenon bulb for finding your way back to the truck. Also have a set of Panthervision LED's that clip to my hat for general navigation and "being seen" by other hunters out in the woods.

Among those that are "Just there" in case of need are the 4D cell maglight mounted to the wall outside my bedroom door (along with a fire extinguisher). Mounted it there so that I will always know where a light and extinguisher are in case of fire. Thankfully never had to use either of them. There's also a 2D maglight in my wife's car and a 2D maglight in my truck. Those two have seen some use for flat tires and such, and that is the reason they are there. There is another one I've picked up here recently that is impressive though, and that is an LED model from Brinkmann that is rechargeable both with a wall plug and a solar panel built into the body of the flashlight. This one has just about taken the place of the maglight in my truck. It's got a velcro lanyard that keeps it hanging around the transaxle shifter in my truck and thus always charged by the sun. Never have to worry about the batteries. Then of course there is the Surefire G2 that is mounted to my primary HD Shotgun (a Rem 870 with 20" rifle sighted barrel). Thankfully never had to use it for it's intended purpose either.......

There are various and sundry others scattered hither and yon throughout the house. Thus prompting my wife's statement comparing my flashlight collection to her shoes.

Anyone else wanna step forward and admit they have a "problem" with flashlights???

Last edited by rantingredneck; December 13, 2007 at 01:02 AM.

Page generated in 0.03073 seconds with 8 queries