Thread: Powder Types
View Single Post
Old April 25, 2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Uncle Buck

Powder Types

The choice to use a powder not listed for your bullet/cartridge combination can be a dangerous proposition. I talked to a guy over the week-end who loaded some rounds "... with stuff I had on hand." He is looking for a new rifle because his blew up on him. He said he could not find any load info using the powder he had and figured it would be safe if he only filled the cartridge "Almost to the top, but not compressed." He has never heard of the powder burn rate chart.

I think I have learned to use the powder burn rate chart.

Sometimes when I am trying to develop a new load, I will look at the powder burn rate chart and I see the powder I have on hand is listed one or two spots above or below another powder recommended. (Example: H4895 is listed at 110 and IMR4895 is listed at 114, meaning that H4895 burns faster than IMR 4895).

By reducing my loads 10%, I have used H4895 instead of IMR4895. I use this powder for my .30-06. (I have also read about these two powders and felt comfortable using this 10% formula in this case. I also do not load anywhere near max for any round I shoot.)

This worked for me and now I have a load that is beautiful.

So, my questions for the guys and gals who have been doing this for a long time are:

1. Am I safe going up or down a few lines on the powder burn rate chart? (Did I use it correctly?)

2. At what point do you say "no", the powder I want to use is too far away on the burn chart from the powder recommended?

3. Can this spread also be used for pistol powders as well?

I currently have 12 different powders on my shelf, some which I really like and others, not so much. I am not adverse to trying new powders but I do like to use what I have on hand when possible. (W231 is my latest addition to the powder supply. I use it in the .45 ACP and again, wish to say thanks for recommending it.)

Page generated in 0.02961 seconds with 8 queries