View Single Post
Old March 2, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I never heard of that classification, either. I know a few years ago the benchresters were all in a tizzy to hoard a batch of RWS small rifle primers that had turned out to be especially timid. Apparently they found letting the powder be responsible for all the pressure was most accurate under BR conditions. Would these be A- primers?

The author made a glaring error, so if he's an industry insider, he isn't a very completely informed one. A primer is not normally what starts a bullet moving, unless you forget to put powder in the case. Some work at HP White labs years ago showed that bullets don't normally start going until case pressure is up around 10,000 PSI. No primer can get you there without powder. Sure, if you leave powder out and give the pressures time to equilibrate toward static conditions, the primer's pressure will dislodge the bullet and maybe even stick it in the bore. Sub-10,000 PSI target loads still shoot, too, of course. But when there is a full compliment of powder present, there isn't time for that to come about.

It did occur to me the military might have such a classification system? Be worth a look, anyway.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03363 seconds with 8 queries