View Single Post
Old September 2, 2011, 09:12 PM   #26
wally626

Norfolk Navel Station used to have a couple of ships doing open houses every weekend. When I first lived here, 20+ years ago, you just drove on base up to the pier. Later they made you get a vehicle pass, license, registration and insurance card, delayed things a bit as you had to remember to go to the visitors office first.

I haven't been in years and they may have stopped after 9/11.

Sometimes they were restricted to the deck and bridge, but some tours took you into the battle command center and other interior spaces. My son went on a JrROTC sponsored tour and they did the whole ship including engine rooms.

I remember one trip, I had just watched a newscast were they were explaining one of the new missile systems and said that how many shots a minute the system could do was classified. On the tour the proud sailor in charge of the system told us all the specs of the system, even the supposady classified ones

Back on topic. Weapons can only be brought on a base for official purposes. If you are hunting or shooting at a range you can bring them, but not just store them in the vehicle. In the case of shooting or hunting, find out in advanced the particular procedures used on the base first.

Page generated in 0.03519 seconds with 8 queries