View Single Post
Old April 10, 2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

Serf,

Neck seizing isn't an issue in brass cases loaded with guilding metal bullets.

Neck seizing was a HUGE issue in earlier cupronickel jacketed bullets and brass cases, even worse with tin plated cases, IIRC.

Hatcher discusses this in his Notebook. He said after early National Matches where such ammo was fired it was not uncommon to find fired bullets with the neck of the cartridge case still attached. The pressures generated to force that combination through the bore must have been dramatic.

Slam, yep, I'm familiar with the military publication you reference.

What it doesn't mention is that double-base propellants like Cordite, WA .30, etc., are apparently far more resistant to this kind of deteoriation than single-base propellants (IMR powders are all singlebase propellants, Du Pont kept those in the 1912 break up while Hercules kept the double-base propellants).

We'll talk more later, Mom's calling me for dinner (visiting family!) this is a really fascinating discussion.

Bottom line is, though, I wouldn't have any issues putting that 1907 .303 ammo in my Lee Enfield and sending it down range.

Your IMR 4895, any idea as to its age/date of manufacture? Could it have been some of the lots left over from World War II? You don't want to know the kinds of corners that were cut in production during World War II.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.02250 seconds with 8 queries