Thread: Binoculars
View Single Post
Old June 20, 2013, 08:57 PM   #23
603Country

Must admit that JerryM has asked a very good question. Some years ago, when we lived in Houston, it was raining cats and dogs and my wife wanted to know how much rain we'd gotten. The rain gauge was hard to read and was on the back fence (50 feet or so from the back window of the house). I went and got my super duper Leica 10x40 binocs and couldn't clearly read the gauge. She had my cheap Nikon 9x25's that some customer had sent me and she could read the gauge. I grabbed the Nikons and I could read the gauge. Hmmmm. Well, that wasn't supposed to happen. Still, the Leica binocs are the better binoculars and I can use them for hours with no eyestrain. The Nikons, and my new Nikons that we keep in the house for deer watching, aren't as clear around the edges. The Nikons will do fine, but I'll stay with the Leicas. The Leica binocs just ooze quality, whereas the Nikons don't, though they have good glass.

I didn't pay full price for the Leicas anyway. I was in Houston at the Carter's Country on I-10 and the guy behind the counter was watching me staring at the Leicas. He asked if I wanted them ($800 was the price back then). I said I'd buy them at $500 and I slapped my checkbook on the counter. He declined the offer, and I went to look at reloading supplies. He drifted back to me later and asked if I had been serious. I said that I certainly was, and he said he'd sell them to me at my price. Later, I thought the wife might choke me to death. Those binocs are just perfect in every way. Would have been worth a little choking by the wife.

Page generated in 0.03411 seconds with 8 queries