View Single Post
Old June 16, 2013, 08:02 PM   #10
kraigwy

No its not the most you can get out of accuracy. A bit of practice will tighten those groups up.

Quote:
At 100 yards I struggled a bit more with elevation, I think I need to figure out how to add some height to the front sight.
I wouldn't fool with the front sight. It's a simple fix but from the rear sight.

On the Mosin Nagant, every movement of your sights 0.0068
inches moves the impact 1 inch at 100 yards.

Sight radius divided by 3600 (3600 inches in a hundred yards) tells you how much to move the sights to move the impact 1 inch.

The sight radius of the Mosin 91/30 is 24 3/8s. Divide that by 3600 and you get .0068.

Find the center of the group, and measure how high it is. Mine was 7 inches high at 100 yards when set on the 100 mark on the sights.

I wanted to keep it legal per CMP Rules so I couldn't change the front sight, but I could adjust the rear sight.

I too the sights off the rifle and turned it up side down and milled .048 of the bottom of the sliding part of the sight.

Put the sight back on and its on at 100 when on the 100 mark, same with 200, 300 and 400, (didn't try it past that).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What I like most about the Mosin is its cheap, its accurate, its reliable, and the ammo is cheap. I can shoot surplus ammo cheaper then I can shoot cast bullets.

It's competitive in the CMP GSM matches, this means any one can afford to get into competition.

I hate to see shooting sports become a rich man's sport. That's why I like the CMP matches. The Mosin fits perfectly.

Difference between a accurate Mosin and a not so accurate Mosin is learning how to shoot it, and lots of practice.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03270 seconds with 8 queries