View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 04:16 PM   #37
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
it does not matter what they were designed to do, does it? The issue is what could be done with it.
Absolutely, it does.
What one does with an object is largely going to be by influenced what it is designed for.

If someone steals a car, they will likely either sell it or drive it.
Typically, that does not cause injury, death nor destruction

If someone steals a gun, they will likely either sell it (possibly to someone who does not want to go through normal channels) or use it.
Typically that does cause injury, death or destruction.
It seems fair to recognise that and act accordingly.

You and I are on the same page on this issue. We both condone the use of safes, as opposed leaving guns lying around.

Frankly, I don't yearn for legislation on this either. As it happens I am bound by law, but would lock them up even if I weren't.

I merely disagreed with the comparison of a car theft having the same potential for disaster as theft of gun.

However, the regrettable truth is that many people do not assume the responsibility and we are then all tarred with the same brush when the unthinkable happens.

Truth for me is that, if it did come down to legislation and I had to choose between compulsory safe installations and an AWB, I'd jump on the former...

Page generated in 0.03264 seconds with 8 queries