View Single Post
Old April 1, 2010, 03:55 PM   #26
Kleinzeit

Quote:
It was discussed in reference to topics including illegal immigrants, illegal immigration, rights to health care (or not, depending on your status), (access to documenation such as driver's licenses, etc.) and how the state intends to separate one class of claimants from the other.
Thanks, Doc.

I didn't read all the articles, but I read enough to find myself questioning even more the claim you made earlier:

Quote:
Under the new Obama Health Care Reform Act you will now get an "I'm a genuine U.S. Citizen smart-card", which will have all sorts of interesting data about you contained in a chip inside it. It will prove you are worthy of health care. You will carry your U.S. ID document wherever you go, and you will produce it on demand.
The very strong impression I have after reading a few of these articles is that biomentric cards are NOT happening under the new health care legislation.

This is NOT, in any sense, something that "will now" (as you put it) be happening.

All that is happening is that people are talking about it. And it is being talked about by people on both sides of politics. I'm not saying this isn't something to be concerned about, but I think we should maintain some kind of distinction between things that are actually happening and things that are just being talked about. People talk about a lot of stuff and only a fraction of it actually happens; talking about ideas is an essential and necessary part of the democratic process. I just want to be sure we aren't sliding into the scare-mongering and prophet-of-doom rhetoric that has so much of the nation spinning in the grips of wild-eyed rapture.

Page generated in 0.03503 seconds with 8 queries