View Single Post
Old June 14, 2005, 09:11 PM   #13
Leftoverdj

Quote:
"Neither a scale nor a dipper is gonna catch a typo. Only thing that catches those is crosschecking or enough experience to know when something just ain't right."

I disagree, especially when it comes to the experience factor.

If you've been reloading for awhile, espeically with the same powder, you'll immediately recognize, once the powder hits the scale pan, that either the dipper or the listed charge is wrong if you're expecting 5.5 grains of a powder and you come up with 6.8.

In nearly 30 years of reloading I've seen a ****pot load of typos in loading manuals of all types.

It's interesting though, that you mention cross checking loading manual data, but seem to believe that cross checking the actual powder charge with a scale as being unnecessary.

As for W748, I never use it.
Reread it, Mike. We agree on experience catching errors. We also agree that plenty of typos get into loading manuals. The typos I have seen have all been by weight. Nobody but Lee gives charges by volume; they are well aware of the hazards, and are always on the low side.

Weight and volume are both valid powder measuring systems. Benchrest shooters frequently give recipes in Culver settings. PPC shooters sometimes use Lil' Dandy rotor numbers. Most of us are used to using weight, and there are advantages to doing so. That does not make accurate volumetric measurements invalid. Since I established long ago that Lee Autodisk cavity .30 throws the right amount of WW 231 for extraordinarily accurate 148 WC .38 Specials, I don't need to check that against a scale again. Cavity size ain't gonna change, and I've got 5-6000 rounds left in that keg.

Page generated in 0.03831 seconds with 8 queries