Thread: m96 questions
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 10:46 AM   #3
tahunua001

I agree with rainbow, 170 is incredibly heavy for 6.5, the bullet would be dang near 2 inches long. most that I see are in the 140-150 range. consider that one of the most popular cartridges out there for deer hunting is the 243 winchester and that the heaviest projectile out there is a 107 grain, 140 is sounding pretty good. also consider that in 6.5 swede most reloading manuals that I have seen have that 140 grain bullet traveling at almost the same speed as the 107 grain 243...

it doesn't matter.... just about anything you load up will kill a deer as long as it's a soft point, polymer tip or just about anything bu steel core, tracer or FMJ.

for elk, 6.5 swede is a bit on the small side and is considered marginal, if not underpowered, either way you need some serious, honest to goodness skills to be able to take an elk with a 6.5 swede, sometimes shooting MOA from sandbags at paper doesn't cut it...

Last edited by tahunua001; March 14, 2013 at 01:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.03511 seconds with 8 queries