Thread: Holster Types
View Single Post
Old January 11, 2010, 01:01 PM   #10
The Great Mahoo

I'd start by deciding what method of carry you want to try. Stong-side, cross-draw, shoulder, ankle, etc. Then there is IWB (Inside the waistband) vs OWB (oustide WB) to decide between.

In addition to a good holster, be sure to get a good, sturdy belt! Much of the comfort and dependability of a good holster is lost with a belt that folds over and flops away with the weight of the gun on it.

Personally, I prefer strong-side carry, and flip between IWB and OWB depending on dress.

As for holsters and makers, I have a ton of great links on my home PC, but don't know them to cite them from work. From my memory, though

I use a Don Hume JIT Slide for OWB carry of my Glock 36. They seem to have some other designs that look great, and they are all stocked-items and readily available.

For IWB carry of my Glock, I use a Dakota Defender from K&D, though it has since been replaced with the Thunderbird, which converts to an OWB as well. I've been considering ordering another for my new Sp101. I also have on of their belts, with which I am very happy. I believe it took about 3-4 months to get my order last time around.

Originally purchased for my .357 snubbie, my tuckable-IWb holster from http://www.highnoonholsters.com/ luckily fits my Sp101 and is still in use. High Noon's holsters are plain (atleast their stocked-items) but serve their funtion well. They are rather limited in models and sizes of guns they will support, though, but you should be fine. They do custom orders if you want something a bit nicer and don't mind waiting.

My OBW holster for my revolver, again originally used for my .356 but now used on my Sp101, is a Bianchi slide-stlye. The online store I bought them from stocks Galco and Bianchi, but the name escapes me at the moment, so I will have to get back on that one. Its a great holster, though, for a great price (~$30 IIRC) and probably has seen the most use of all of my gear.
Edit: The place I bought it from is Packin Heat. I knew it would come to me sooner or later. /edit.

Lastly, I have recently come across http://www.dmbullardleather.com/ and have been intrigued. I'm considering one of their BodyGuard style holster for my Sp101, since it's 3" barrell hangs a little lower than I would like in my current Bianchi slide. If anyone has any comments on this maker, I would be very much interested, but will likely be making a purchase in the next few weeks to try them out. Order make-time is quoted at about 8 weeks at the moment.

Oh, and don't forget about mag/ammo holders! If carrying an auto, you want to make sure you have a spare mag, not for capacity issues, but because most of any problems result from magazine failure. Not wanting to carry an extra magazine is why I usually carry my revolver instead. The above all have magazine carriers available in various styles.

Last edited by The Great Mahoo; January 11, 2010 at 01:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.03744 seconds with 8 queries