View Single Post
Old December 14, 2009, 06:54 PM   #78
oldman1946

Quote:
Quote:
All someone has to do is check the FBI stats and see that a running shootout just does not happen.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the question. If you are attacked by someone and deadly force is immediately necessary, multiple hits may be required to stop him. Multiply that by the number of attackers. Many incidents around my area involve perps who work in pairs.

Let's consider this. Why do you stop shooting? You shoot until the threat has ceased. If the person is fleeing, then there is no need to continue to shoot. If the person is down, there is no need to continue to shoot. But many on here feel that throwing bullets around is going to make things better. Innocent people get hit by loose bullets. I will bet that every person on this forum that has a CCW signed an Indemnification and Hold Harmless Affidavit before being allowed to obtain that CCW. There is a reason for that and the reason is the State, it's various departments and it's legal staff do not want to be sued because a CCW holder shot an innocent person or made an unrighteous shot.

BTW: Anyone hear of the Pharmacist that shot the robber in OK? He is now charged with First degree Homicide. He shot the guy and the guy fell. A second perp ran away and the Pharmacist chased out the door looking for him, with gun in hand. He re entered the store and the perp on the floor was moving so he shot him again and this time the wound was fatal. I guess he wanted to use more ammo since he had some left. So he shot him several more times.

I wish I had a single dime for each time I have heard people say after a shooting something to the following: "Man, if that happened to me I would have shot the *&*^% dead. I would have pumped 32 rounds in him. Sorry SOB like that know better than mess with me."

Yet once the person is involved in a shooting, they are often later wanting to sell their guns. I have seen it more than a few times.

Things are easy to say now before the fact. Once the act has happened, it is something else and very costly.

A great example of this from five years ago. Louisiana has some nice laws that say a person can shoot the burglar, the car jacker and the armed robber. All very legal. An armed man enters a store and demands money. He fires his gun over the clerks head. The store owner is in a corner and pulls his legally carry gun, firing three shots into the perp. The perp runs outside. The owner remains inside and calls 911. The police come and find blood on the parking lot but no perp. The owner is carried to the station and advised he might want to get an attorney. He does. Within hours, the perp is found dumped outside a hospital fatally injured. The owner learns this while still being questioned. He then begins to cry over taking a life. He begins to regret the shooting. He then begins to regret having a gun in the store. Some nine hours of intense questions, re-questioning and such, he is let go with the admonishment that he may have charges brought against him. Four months pass and he learns he has been cleared. His insurance company did not have to pay a dime but they cancelled him and the new carrier raised his premiums over $1277 a year due to the shooting. His homeowners (nothing to do with the business) drops him as well even though it was a different company. Within a year, he has to sell his store because he cannot continue to pay the high cost of the shooting.

BTW: The lawyer bill was only $10,000. I was only involved in this for about four hrs but my bill was over $700. Today, the man will not even touch a gun and tells everyone he would have killed himself if he had to watch the man he killed die.

Killing a person is not difficult. Living with the aftermath is a lifelong process. Killing an innocent or crippling them is even more difficult to live with.

Due to many reasons, most of those on this forum and in Congress has not served in the military or worked in law enforcement. They have not had to be in a firefight or watch their commrades fall from wounds or see the grimacing face of a man that is shot and dying. It is easy to be an armchair Monday quarterback. Until you have been there, and I have, it is easy to walk around with more ammo than any officer will carry and say what you will do when the reality is you will likely never use the gun and stats say those getting a CCW are the ones most likely to never need a gun.

I have more ammo in my gun room than most gun stores. I carry a Glock 22 and have six mags for it but the only one on my person is the one in the gun. I do not plan on being in a drawn out firefight. I will make my shots count. The greatest real gunfighters have written book after book. Some here would benefit from reading what these guys have to say. They carried six shooters and was comfortable and safe. They won their battles. Cops carried six shooters for years until the drug community began using the 9mm and carried boxes of ammo. The cops began the same, not because of the opposition but where they met the opposition. If I am going into high drug areas and meeting with drug lords, dealers and such, then I know there is a better than even chance I will need more ammo if I live through the initial suprise attack on me.

There are less than .005% of shootings that take place in well lit, business areas against strangers. Yes, there are shootings inside businesses being robbed like convenience stores and liquor stores but not against the man walking his wife outside a Walmart.

People get a gun, they get ammo and they become pompous about what they will do. Once they have had the permit for four years, they seldom renew the permit.

Right now, I have the reasons on my desk of the 800+ persons that has had their CCW pulled in this state as of this date. The reason for most is improper carry and improper use. Once people tire of the carry, the rules, the cost and such, they lose their bravo.

Last edited by oldman1946; December 14, 2009 at 07:28 PM.

Page generated in 0.04459 seconds with 8 queries