View Single Post
Old May 2, 2009, 12:37 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
How sure can I be that all this practice will not put wear and tear on it? Or is it just one of those things that you deal with?
Dryfiring a gun puts wear and tear on it. There's no way around it.

If you're dryfiring for 30-60 minutes a day I'd recommend snap caps (which I see you're already using).
Quote:
I would think not because you have to dry fire a Glock to take it down.
Dryfiring to strip the gun is one thing. Dryfiring a few hundred times a day is something else entirely. Most guns don't get field stripped a few hundred times in the whole life of the gun, let alone in a single night.

Dryfiring doesn't "hurt" most guns (see manufacturer recommendations for your specific firearm), per se, but it definitely puts wear on them, especially if you spend a lot of time every day doing it.
Quote:
If you break a firing pin, having it replaced is a small price to pay for the DIY trigger job the gun will have and the muscle memory that you built up with that trigger.
Unless, of course, it breaks when you need it.

I'm NOT recommending that people not dryfire. I do a lot of dryfire practice with a variety of guns and it's very effective for learning and maintaining good trigger control. But it's good to have realistic expectations. Dryfiring without a snap cap tends to stress the firing pin and the breechface in ways that normal firing does not. I don't worry about a few dryfires, even a few dryfires daily without snap caps, but if I settle down for a long practice session I use some method for cushioning the firing pin (snapcap) or the hammer drop or both.

Dryfiring with a snap cap is very similar to firing the gun, but, of course, even firing the gun puts wear on the various internal parts. Things wear out and break even in normal operation. The more you use them the faster they break.

Page generated in 0.02870 seconds with 8 queries