View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Grump

"Colt used to call the SAA quarter cock a safety notch, too.
That tradition cost Ruger a ton of money in lawsuits until they put the Iver Johnson transfer bar in."

You sure about that? Patent protection just don't last from 1873 (or whatever earlier date, IF it was even patented) to 1950-whatever.

Ruger didn't have to license anything or get permission from Iver Johnson, either.

I have on reliable sources and sound background info that Ruger was getting sued for sticking with the 1800s design intentionally, when it was KNOWN to be deadly-dangerous loaded with 6, and quite foreseeable that genius gunowners would ignore all safety rules and warnings and load with 6. One sad instance I read a report on (might have been the court case, it's been years) involved an old coot who stuffed every chamber of his Ruger, holstered it in his "Old West" belt rig (actually most of these are a common style invented in Hollywood in the 1920s or 30s), and then put it up on a high shelf above his head.

You get one guess on what happened next and whether he survived.

I see how it can be called "quarter" cock shelf. It's noticeably not as far back as the regular half-cock. Guess Colt is confident in both the low energy of pulling the trigger from there (which of course DISABLES the FP block..???? I STILL don't like that), and in relying on the FP block in a dropped pistol setting even if the drop/rattle/clank dynamics of a pistol in ballistic gravity effects mode (dropped), whether starting from full-cock or an ill-advised quarter-cock position. I don't like the remote prospect of the sear slipping off of quarter-cock...I want that hammer OFF the FP whenever possible and until we WANT the thing to go boom.

It doesn't give me the same sense of comfort as the "rest" position and hammer shelf of the SIG series pistols when de-cocked.

Page generated in 0.02746 seconds with 8 queries