View Single Post
Old January 27, 2005, 12:34 PM   #16
Smokey Joe

Good Ol' Lee Loader

Leftover & Tim--I too started on the Lee Loader. I learned a bit from it, but it is SO basic that there is not much more once you get started. Yet I though I was perfectly happy and satisfied, and it was filling all of what I thought my needs were, until I stumbled onto such a deal on an RCBS Rcokchucker that even my wife agreed I should snap it up.

Then it was "off to the races." If I had it to do over again I'd have started right off with the RCBS. With the Lee you can't go wrong if you follow the directions, but you also are very limited in your choices--they made most of those for you when they included one certain size powder dipper in the kit.

I think if I were teaching a class in reloading I'd start with the Lees, one set for each student, but after having them make up and shoot 20 rds, I'd then proceed to a regular single-stage reloading press and the associated equipment. I cannot reccommend spending $$ on a Lee Loader kit for your personal use, unless saving a little $$, and making up, say, 20 rd/yr. is ALL you will ever do in the area of reloading. For that level of reloader, the Lee is just what the Dr. ordered. But so many of us outgrow it, you might just as well save the $$ and start at the next level up.

FWIW I still keep my Lee kit--you just never know.

--Smokey Joe

Page generated in 0.04301 seconds with 8 queries