View Single Post
Old March 26, 2010, 11:58 PM   #18
qcpunk

I will agree with Dwight, Beretta Autoloaders are a dream to carry in the field. I have the Urika.

That said.... What about carry weight? It sounds like you've already got a full load with ya. I'm thinking large caliber handgun. I've also noticed the big cats, javalina, and occasion bears are getting more active during the day now. My thinking is that a suitable handgun may offer a big punch in a small, portable package. Taurus Judge? Casull? Maybe even a Contender (+1 for versitility). One thing all of these have in common is they can all be carried easily and drawn quickly from a holster. You know, those "sling" style across the chest holsters. They work pretty well with a backpack if you put the holster on after the backpack.

Background on this point.... I'm also in AZ, I spend a LOT of time in the Flagstaff backcountry as well as the Mazatzal Range and Superstitions. I backpacks, hike, hunt, you name it. I carry similar gear and sidearmed with my P99 or XD (both are in .40 w/ 180gr HPs). I'm also looking at upgrading my backcountry protection, but wallet isn't fat enough right now.

Page generated in 0.02560 seconds with 8 queries