View Single Post
Old May 16, 2010, 05:10 PM   #22
philster

Lastly, here's a couple of pics of the slide face and the feed ramp into the chamber. I don't really know exactly what I'm looking at here, but the slide face seems OK to me - even if slightly scored vertically.

The feed ramp into the chamber seems a little strange, as it looks like the nose of the rds have been taking some squiggly diagonal line driving up the ramp from lower right to upper left.

The two different feed probs I've seen are where:

1) the slide moves forward and instead of catching the top rim of the cartridge (which may be sitting too low in the clip lips), seems to miss and slides over the rim and catches in the groove instead. This moves the cartridge forward with the rd nose angling up, but with the slide catching and stopping while resting on top of the rim instead of getting behind it and picking it up - and the nose jams in the chamber opening.

2) the nose of the rd is slanted downward (like when the clip is full), the slide picks up the back of the cartridge and moves it forward, but the nose hits the face of the feed ramp too low and stops, refusing to slide up into the chamber.

Lastly, a new problem when chambering the JHP rds - which I haven't tried at the range yet. In addition to them jamming (when hand cycling) more often against the face of the feed ramp with a full clip, they seem to have a little more difficulty sliding into the chamber. Once a rd is in the chamber, it sticks inside just enough that hand cycling an unfired rd won't remove it. The extractor tang slips off and leaves the rd in the chamber. I've had to use a pair of small long needle nosed pliers to put their tips in the rim and lever the rd backwards. I have no idea what'll happen when I actually fire one and it tries to eject.

My first (uninformed) take on what I've found is to maybe open up the clip lips ever so slightly near the bullet end of the rd. This should keep the bullet casing aligned with the top edge of the clip lips instead of angled down when the clip is full. This might keep the bullets from jamming into the bottom face of the feed ramp.

It seems I should also make sure that the rds in general (observing primer position at back edge of clip) are riding up high enough into the clip lips so that they get picked up properly by the tangs on the bottom of the slide face when it moves forward, instead of getting missed and ridden over.

Some light polishing might be in order for the feed ramp. The angle of what appears to be the bullet noses sliding upward into the chamber seems a little weird, but I don't really expect to try and change that - just maybe hand polish what's there.

As for the JHP rds in the chamber, I guess I'll need to fire one and find out what happens when it tries to eject. Maybe the blowback from firing will kick it out where hand cycling fails.

All of these are just my observations though, and I won't do anything until some folks have commented so I don't risk make it any worse. I'm looking forward to your advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SLIDE FACE.JPG (114.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg CHAMBER3.JPG (110.6 KB, 31 views)

Page generated in 0.02839 seconds with 9 queries