View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 05:02 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

An interesting post and I've enjoyed reading the answers.

This seems slanted towards semi-autos since that seems to be what most are referring to. For myself . . . I'm more of a "revolver" person. I've owned many over the last 50 years of a lot of different brands. I've come full circle back to S & W - I like vintage ones - just because they feel good in my hand. I especially like J and K frames. But, let's face it, most DA revolvers are pretty much the same so I think, at least for me, it's maybe easier to pick a revolver than it is a semi-auto.

I've owned maybe a half dozen semis - most were 22s. As far as a CCW piece though - I found it difficult and pretty much thought along the same lines as the OP. I had a 1911-A1 for a number of years and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. While they are nice, it just wasn't me. When I started looking for a 9mm, I looked at a lot of 'em. The biggest concern I had was #1 - safety as far as a carry. After that, I was out in left field in terms of exposed hammer, DA SA, DA only, etc. I kept looking and the first time I had a chance to look at and handle a Ruger SR9, I just pretty much knew that I had found "the one". Is it "perfect"? Probably not but then no handgun is . . . there is always the "I wish it had" . . . but overall, I love it, it's reliable for me, it feels good and I'm accurate with it . . . so what more could I ask for?

The funny thing is, after I bought the SR9, I have purchased several more semis . . . just because they "caught my eye". But, I didn't keep them . . I kept going back to the SR9. As already mentioned, I think that selecting a handgun is more personal . . . you can do the research on reliability, function, etc. . . but, when it comes right down to it, most shooters will know what is the right one when they handle it.

A while back, I was taking an advanced shooting class for SD and there was a guy next to me that had a beautiful Kimber. At a break, he was sort of "showing off" and when he asked what I was shooting, I told him an SR9. He was a snob and made a few remarks . . . at which point, I asked him how many FTE and FTFs he'd had so far . . . I know he had at least four as I was shooting next to him. In reality, the Kimber was new to him and he hadn't even taken the time to famliarize himself with it (plus he was a poor shooter to begin with - he didn't even know how to correctly hold it to rack the first round in to it). The instructor, a former military special ops. and currently a SWAT member, was listening. He finally had enough of the guy and told him that perhaps he'd better learn his weapon first before he put anybody down. After the next relay he shot, the instructor pulled his target and mine and had him come over and look at them. Then, he told the guy that maybe he'd ought to go out and get himself an SR9 as I was having no problems hitting the target but he was with his expensive handgun.

The point I'm trying to make is that it really doesn't make a difference whose name is on the handgun - if it functions well, you are well versed on the operation of it and the features it has and you are accurate with it . . . then it's the "right one" for you. Choosing a handgun is all about the various features of it that you are comfortable with for the purpose for which you are purchasing it . . what's "right" for you may not be "right" for the next guy. And that pretty much goes for any firearm - pistol, rifle or shotgun.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03211 seconds with 8 queries