View Single Post
Old January 23, 2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Dragline45

Quote:
IMHO it could be a better idea to put in the market a J-frame size revolver (perhaps with a shorter cylinder and frame) chambered for the .32ACP and with 6 shots instead of 5. S&W, Taurus, Ruger and Charter Arms all have a model ready to be modified that way if they only wanted to do it.
They have had 6 shot .32 J frames for a while now, in both .32 mag, and .327. S&W actually brought them back in 2013, not sure if it was a limited run or they are still making them. For them to shorten the cylinder and the frame would require them to redesign the gun from the ground up, which in that case would make more sense to just scale the gun down and make it smaller overall.

The reason I brought this thread up is I really don't consider J frames pocket guns, at least pant's pocket guns. I don't wear my pants baggy, and a J frame in my pocket not only print's excessively but is outright uncomfortable. The cylinder is just far too thick for me to comfortably and easily conceal in my pocket, especially when my Bodyguard .380 is the width of my wallet.

For those who say it won't be much smaller than a J frame, that's debatable. And as most should know, even fractions of an inch count in gun size when talking about a concealed carry weapon, especially a pocket gun. While the length of the pistol wont change much from a J frame, which I don't find a problem anyway, the width of the cylinder will. Look at the difference between J frames and K frames, there is a good size difference between the two, as there would be if they designed a 5 shot revolver around the .32.

And who says they have to only be in .32, they could also chamber the guns in .22lr or .22magnum which is the same length as the .32 magnum. I suspect they could fit maybe 7 rounds of .22 in the same size cylinder.

Will they sell? I don't see why not. If people are scooping up NAA .22 revolvers as fast as they can make them then there is obviously a market for a small pocket revolver. If carrying a .22 doesn't bother these same people, carrying a .32 mag shouldn't either. The .32 magnum IMO is a better round than even .380. Look at the numbers below comparing the two.

Speer Gold Dot 90gr .380
Muzzle velocity: 900 fps
Muzzle energy: 196 ft/lb

Federal Personal Defense 85gr .32 mag
Muzzle Velocity: 1100 fps
Muzzle Energy: 228 ft. lbs.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 23, 2014 at 03:11 PM.

Page generated in 0.02175 seconds with 8 queries