View Single Post
Old May 14, 2002, 09:56 AM   #3
jimsbowies

unfortunate

And it has been that way for some time....nearly 25 years ago in a mid-sized municipality, I was a uniformed officer....it was in my post Vietnam days. To make a short story shorter..here are the high points:

Warrants are out for a BG...something like 10 felony...including having broken into detective's home and stolen his issue and off-duty weapon.

We spot BG on the street....he immediately begins firing pistol at us when we approach.....nice guys that we are, we don't return fire since we'd have shot him either in the back, ass or bottom of his tennis shoes....

Full-blown search begins for him...he's on foot and has run into a light industrial/retail area....

Word goes out and "calvary" arrives including county sheriff deputies, highway patrol, etc....

Bad-luck deputy stumbles upon the BG and gets "gut shot" and comes within a skinny minute of dying....

Now we've got the location of BG....got him surrounded...order him to throw out his weapon and come out....

He opts to come out...firing.....BAD MISTAKE....now he's "graveyard dead".....not that mankind is missing anything but he's dead....very, very, very dead....

Of course, department has to investigate the shooting or for that matter, any firearms discharge....

But along comes the NAACP and lord-only knows what other kind of group alleging racism, unwarranted shooting, overreaction, etc.
So that means that state police and others must investigate...Despite the fact that this BG is 1) convicted felon..multiple...2) has been on burglary spree....a felony, 3) shoots at officers while he's in a residential area...4) gut shoots a deputy and 5) stands up firing wildly at officers.....

Of course, there are like a gazillion witnesses and the shooting is as clean as one can ever be but the officers involved are made to feel like second-class citizens during the entire process.....department places us under "gag" orders.....takes my weapon for ballistic comparisons. and I get it back months later all rusted and obviously stored in a plastic bag....

That's when I left the LE business...:barf:

Page generated in 0.02856 seconds with 8 queries