View Single Post
Old June 22, 2012, 11:56 AM   #39
zeke

With the exception of some pistol calibers where a Redding profile crimp is used, every single round i load for rifle or pistol gets a a LFC. Sometimes it is so light to be barely perceptible, but insures any belling, twinge from the seating step or rough edge of the case mouth gets straightened out. Sometimes it is for a 45-70 or similiar situations and hard crimped into the cannelure.

Yes i have crimped a 257 wby hard enough to lower ES to low single digits and produce it's own cannelure. Accuracy was dismal.

If you want to increase the case neck tension on a 223, you can use a bullet with a cannelure and crimp into it , or simply remove the expander plug from your sizing die, use a boat tail bullet and Redding comp seater. You can also use a smaller caliber belling die from lyman, and stndard seating die.

If you are a cast bullet shooter reloading for a pstol and are specifically using slightly over diameter lead bullets, the bullets may get swaged down.

Sometimes it seems like a waisted effort to read or post on this subject so often.

And just to blow another , i know what i am doing i have posted 5000 times Internet BS law into oblivion, Win factory 9mm fmj 115 grainers (Q4172) is crimped hard enough to produce a cannelure and is the most accurate 115 gmj factory i ever tried (although there are more i haven't tried, than those i have tried) If memory holds Win 230 fmj are also crimped this hard.

Last edited by zeke; June 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.02315 seconds with 8 queries