View Single Post
Old April 6, 2013, 10:25 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have heard or read about many cartridges that are considered "inherently accurate." I have never heard of one that was called "inherently inaccurate".

So I still don't know what the term means.

I think the best (or worst) rumor was the one several years ago that primers were going to be banned, or that the government was going to order makers to add something that would make them inert in a short time. So everyone ran out and bought up all the primers they could find. Neither rumor was true, but the panic created a serious shortage, so of course the shortage just proved the rumor that the government was destroying primers by the hundreds of tons, which created another panic, which.... You get the picture.

Not specific to guns or ammo, but no one who lived through it will likely forget the Y2K panic. Computers were going to crash, planes fall from the sky, the world burst into flame, etc., etc. The less solidly grounded among us dug shelters, bought tons of MREs (some still have them), stocked up on rifles and ammo, etc., etc. Well, due in part to some sensible preparation, midnight on 31 Dec 1999 came and went and the world (surprise!) didn't end. Some folks crawled out of their bunkers feeling a bit foolish, though.

At the time I was working on a government system that used some rather antique computers. I told one alarmist that our date was in binary in a 32 bit word, and I wasn't worried about Y2K. I did go on record as having concerns about Y4B as we would run out of space at the end of December in the year 4294967295, and I thought we should do some planning ASAP. He, like Queen Victoria, was not amused.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03527 seconds with 8 queries