View Single Post
Old December 17, 2013, 08:07 PM   #27
barnbwt

Quote:
The VZ is a great gun, but it's just too weird to be practical. The Czechs intentionally designed it to be completely incompatible with the AK, save for the round it fires, as an act of defiance against the Soviet regime.
You're probably thinking of the Polish Tantal, a weird abortion that's identical to an AK except nothing fits . The VZ is a totally different platform and action, which is superior to the AK in every way other than the cost of giving them away to satellite countries for free. The Czechs weren't being defiant (though they probably were that, too), they had a long history of making the world's best guns, and made something for themselves better than the AKs they were given. Sorry for the minor thread departure, but the VZ is totally practical; just ask any Canadian who's not allowed to own AKs but can freely obtain a VZ conversion which is more practical up there

The VZ has a milled receiver and weighs a pound less than an AK unloaded. The gas-system of the VZ is a good 3" shorter than the AK. It's mags are similar to the AK (but with a bolt hold-open track that makes them AK-incompatible) but made from aluminum and are very well built. The factory folding stock is among the most solid-locking side folding stock designs I've seen. The VZ is striker fired, and has a trigger with much take up, but little resistance or roughness. There are companies making everything from furniture, to 922r parts, to AK47 drum conversions, to railed top covers and other scope mounts for the VZ. I'll actually be working on a belt-fed conversion at some point

TCB

Page generated in 0.02102 seconds with 8 queries