View Single Post
Old June 28, 2008, 09:07 PM   #31
Beauhooligan

200-yard "roundball" gun

Sarge wrote: Beau,

Sorry your buddy blew his chops off. Regardless of what NRANMLRANAMBLA or anyone else says, you don't need a factory-made measure. An old 45-70 case works just fine. I lit my first DuPont black in 1970. I'm still here. Congrats on your Hatfields. Now you just need a couple of McCoy's to go with them.

Howdy Sarge,

You are right, a cartridge case makes a great measure. But when working up the load an adjustable volumetric measure is pretty darn handy. Once you know the right load, cut a cartridge case down to hold the same amount. Then the shooter can solder a brass ring on the base and tie it to his powder horn or shooting bag. The BIG POINT is to never throw a charge directly from flask or horn. The measure is the intermediary that makes sure that when the charge is tossed down bore, nothing dramatic happens. If there is a ember to light the charge, only a small amount of powder goes off. I have had charge go off twice when tossed from a measure down bore during "cut the stake" speed shoots, and 80 grains is enough to surprise the heck out of me (it's also why I lean the muzzle slightly away from me when tossing the charge). If it had flashed up into a 3/4 pound horn it would have been a disaster. I ain't pretty, but I have come to like my face and eyes the way the are. That's why at AMM shoots, where they wanted me to wear "period" watch crystal sized spectacles, I argued for my right to wear big polyurethane lenses in safety frames with side shields, and won out. Nobody will ever tell me I can't take proper safety precautions. When it comes to protecting me, I'm the number one safety officer.

Beauhooligan - NRA Life, NMLRA Life, SASS Life, Deputy Cas City

Page generated in 0.02504 seconds with 8 queries