View Single Post
Old July 4, 2007, 03:45 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Random Range Report

Trigger time on the 4th....

1. CZ 453 Varmint, .17 HMR. Just schweetness. If it's within 150 yards with low wind, and it's of the order Rodentia, it's dead. Clay pigeons in the berm went down in rapid succession. 200 yard 1/2 size ram was super easy with a bit of holdover. Set trigger very nice. Federal V-shok grouped better than Hornadys. Gotta love rimfires - pretty cheap to shoot, virtually no recoil, and the less you clean them, the more accurate they get.

2. Remington 1187 sportsmans deer rifled slug gun, with Leupold VX1 1-4x20mm. Oh yeah, baby, get some. But only shot 5 foster type slugs, and 5 saboted (at only 25 yards). Kicks you back pretty solidly. Saboted slugs (Winchester super X) were all touching. Foster, nah, not good - like a 2" group. However, once I find the load I want to use, pigs will die. Actually I plan to use Rem Buckhammer 602s, and I had 5 with me, but they're so expensive, I didn't want to shoot any! :-/ No need for optics to see your holes at 25 yards - friends commenting on my shots with naked eye.

3. CZ 550 FS, 9.3x62mm, with Burris Sig Select 1.5-6x40mm. Only shot 5 rounds, and didn't shoot for a group, but I got it sighted in about 1.75" high at 100 yards, so it should be good to 150 without holdover, if someone calls and says "Hey, pack up, we're leaving for an Alaska moose & brown bear trip tomorrow, and I'm paying." Norma factory ammo. Barks pretty loudly. Had it in the lead sled, so dunno how bad subjective recoil is.

4. Saiga 12 customized. It's amazing how fast I can rip off 10 rounds of 2.75" ammo. Good thing 12 gauge birdshot is cheap! Fun is an understatement.

5. Baikal/Spartan 12 ga over / .223 rem under: Sighted in the .223 at 100 yards, then went to check to see if 12 gauge was on with same sight-in, at 25 yards. It was pretty darned close, but a smidge low impact - but quite a bit of shot all over, so good enough to kill a turkey. Had the barrels not been regulated as such, then I would have switched to Plan B, and put a see-through ring set and used the irons for 12 ga, and a scope for .223. As it stands, looks like the low-mounted scope will *probably* work for both, for my purpose - fall turkeys at any range out to 100 yards. Needs further testing before hunt-ready, but pleased at present.

6. Sporterized Lee-Enfield No. 4, Mk 1., with carbine barrel, .303 brit. Shoots pretty well, but didn't have enough ammo to "wring it out". But I like this rifle a lot. Sighted Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32mm in at 100 yards with 150 ball.

Also shot a friend's US Gov't Property marked USGI 1911 .45, a P38 9mm, an M1 Garand (jealous of my friend now) - ping! And an old engraved FN-made Browning in 7mm rem mag. Ran out of time before I got to my other friend's Marlin 1894 in .357 mag, and other friend's *beautiful* Howa 1500 Varmint Laminated/Stainless in .308 win.

Oberwerk 12-36x70mm zoom binos did not perform as well as expected. Thumbs down for this use of target spotting. Could not see holes at 200 yards very well at all. Glass not high enough quality I guess. Relegate use to 100 yard spotting or field game-spotting at long range.

Finally learned to take extra staples downrange each time, which was needed. Next trip will be more about handguns, but also the K31 and fall deer rifles lineup.

Time for some cleaning now. Ahhh, life is good.

Notes to self: Take bug spray and umm, *targets* to range next time (thankfully friend had some).

Happy Birthday, U.S. of A!

Last edited by FirstFreedom; July 4, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.02588 seconds with 8 queries