View Single Post
Old September 14, 2005, 08:46 PM   #3
vitesse9

I'm your size; had similar issues

I'm 5 6" and my first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 Persuader (basically the same gun with a shorter barrel). I now am the happy owner of a Remington 870 Police Magnum.

Recoil. Your friend was partially correct with respect to the felt recoil of the Mossberg. My Mossberg kicked quite a bit more than my Remington. I suspect switching to a wood stock helped a bit, but I think the advantage the Remington 870 has over the Mossberg is a machined steel receiver instead of a cast aluminum receiver. The Mossberg's aluminum makes for a lighter gun, but it also makes for more felt recoil. I don't find the 870 to be too heavy, but I appreciate a little extra heft from the receiver.

However, nowadays, you can get "reduced recoil" loads for both buckshot and slugs. They go a long way to making for a more comfortable shooting experience. Unless you need extended ranges, these loads are more than enough for self defense. Even better, follow up shots are easier with the reduced recoil loads, which makes them even more suited for self/home defense.

Reduced Recoil 00 Buck out of my 870 feels like light target #7 load. It's really quite comfortable.

Size/LOP. I've never compared the LOP of the two guns, but my Mossberg did not fit me very well. It felt awkward and I had to stretch my left arm to reach the forend. Plus the gun felt bulky and kind of rough. On the other hand, the first time I held an 870 it was like putting on a perfectly fitted glove. The 870 fits my smaller frame perfectly. The grip is a little more slender and the LOP is right where it should be. It has better balance and really feels like a natural extension of my body.

So, I switched to the 870 because it fit me better and I liked the walnut stock and forend option on the police mag. But, if recoil is the only issue, ammo selection probably matters more than more weight in the receiver etc.

12 v. 20 gauge. The reduced recoil loads, in my opinion, make switching to a 20 gauge unnecessary. Moreover, a big disadvantage of buying a 20 gauge is that there's more ammo available in 12. More selection means better prices, more options and, best of all, the ability to take advantage of surplus police ammo when it comes on the market. You can get buck and slugs for 20 gauge, but you'll pay more and you'll have less to choose from.

Far better to buy the 12 gauge that fits you right and stay with the reduced recoil loads.

Winchester 1300. Also has an aluminum receiver. Although I've never fired one, I suspect it will kick more like the Mossberg.

Page generated in 0.03927 seconds with 8 queries