View Single Post
Old October 4, 2009, 01:15 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
actualy the deer are much more plentiful, and a lil bit bigger than our grandfathers day. theres more and better food for them.
I agree with that statement.... partially... for certain subspecies, and certain parts of the country....
In my neck of the woods, populations of Mule Deer have dropped terribly. Compounding the lower population, is the absence of truely healthy animals. They're all malnourished, under developed, and forced to live in terrain that was only 'optional' 20 years ago.

The problem with animal populations is people. Bigger, better, and more of it. We always have to 'improve', even while knowing that 16 plants, 23 insects, 4 birds, 2 rodents, and 1 reptile will likely be pushed to extinction; thereby permanently altering the entire ecosystem in the area.

What has changed? See above. Bigger, better, and more of it. I understand the desire for a super ultra mega magnum. I don't want one, though. My Ruger .270 Win shoots flat enough, and long enough, to reach beyond the limits of this shooter. In special situations, I might be seen with a .243 Win, 7.62x54R, 7.62x39mm, 12ga, or .220 Swift. They all have a hunting 'niche' to fill, but the .270 does it all. I pull out the other rifles for unique situations; usually where I don't want to beat up the beautiful Ruger. (Or the scope is a hinderance.)

Last edited by FrankenMauser; October 4, 2009 at 01:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.02695 seconds with 8 queries