View Single Post
Old September 15, 2011, 12:55 AM   #12
ChrisBobis

Everyone's idea of whats best for home defense is different. So why limit yourself, buy everything. Mace, 12 gauge, .223, .45, 9mm, CQC knife, fashlight, bat, axe, Coldsteel Greatsword... Whatever..

I would like to chime in, in the dark when your eyes are not adjusted to light getting a strobing LED light that has 200+ lumens is blinding. I strobed myself in the mirror as a test, and was glad to see that I was "seeing stars". If your assailant is not holding his gun properly and is not looking down the sights theres a small chance your going to get shot when the light turns on. The second that light comes out of no where the only thing your going to do is shut your eyes and use your hands as a shield or turn your face away from it. Its so bright and so unexpected its your human nature. Also at home you dont have to stand in front of the guy to shine him, just stick your light out of the door, you will know when you get him because instinctively hes going to make a sound, or his trigger finger is going to pull or hes going to drop the gun. After that toss the light, and engage with your weapon.

The torch will never be the greatest HD weapon but it will be useful for insuring you get the surprise attack. I only carry my tactical light on me at night, when im in my car or walking the streets for this very reason. Your going to get that light out and in the guys eyes before you can draw your gun or pull your knife. And the desired effect will be immediate. Allowing you maybe as much as a full second to either run or dispatch. Tactical lights also have crowned heads so you can use them as a bludgeon in a pinch. A quick wack on the head from a flashlight will ensure you have plenty of time to decide what to do next.

Back to the OP's question of 90 Lumens I think not. Get something more than 150+ their not all that much money. The Fenix PD lights are small and throw out 230 Lumens all for about $50. The light I chose is a Fenix TA-20 got it for $80 on amazon.

Like nutnfancy says "I like options". Dont limit yourself everything has a use. Example:

BG coming up the stairs, I shine my light with only my hand exposed through the door, he gets blinded, I randomly spray some pepper spray and wait for a scream. If not...I blindly toss the mace can as hard as I can towards the BG (doing all this not exposed, with only my hand and arm outside the door frame) another quick strobe from my torch, throw that as hard as I can too before I charge out with my knife + gun. If I run out, the dudes like 10 yards away, toss the knife, hope it sticks, that frees up my 2nd hand and pray my hand is steady and my aim is true.

Summary:
BUY A LIGHT! If not for home defense, you will love making the decision to buy a quality LED light once your power is gone. I was light-less for 8 days with nothing but candles when Hurricane Ike hit. Lightless 3 days this year when the powerbox broke, and I was lightless (Not even enough batteries in my cellphone) when my car had a flat and I attempted to jack it up in the air in total darkness. The result; my car fell 2 times because I could not find the jackpoint. Once narrowly crushing my hand. So....

http://www.lapolicegear.com/flashlights.html
Do it.

Last edited by ChrisBobis; September 15, 2011 at 01:02 AM.

Page generated in 0.02230 seconds with 8 queries