View Single Post
Old August 6, 2012, 07:27 PM   #6
tobnpr

I wouldn't be concerned, unless you have evidence that the seating depth is changing in the magazine...

We don't crimp our rounds even for semi-autos, but a common "concern" is that getting bounced around in the mag, either from recoil, or just because, affects the seated length of the bullet.

Sounds like you're using a comparator to seat your bullets off the lands, I would send a few clips downrange (leave the last round in the mag), bounce the rifle around a little bit and then check the seating depth of the round with comparator to see if it's changed. This way you're ignoring the damaged tip, and still measuring the relative length to the ogive.

"Max" OAL is pretty irrelevant if you have the proper tools to check it. There's a lot of guys (I'm not among them, yet) that use chamber gauges to check their OAL brass length. If you have a generous throat, your brass can still exceed spec for length, and not risk crimping down on the bullet. It's all relative to your chamber, and your ammunition.

Page generated in 0.03054 seconds with 8 queries