Thread: 338-06
View Single Post
Old October 30, 2000, 08:03 AM   #2
JMC

mackie,

I have a .338x06 and consider it one of my favorite rifles.

Mine is a Rem. 700 BDL action with a Shilen 24" #4 match grade barrel installed by Shilen and glass bedded into a Rem. stock by Triple G Gunsmithing in TX. I had the work done back in '97.

I put the rifle into the Rem. stock just to work up some loads and figured on re-installing it into an H-S Precision stock at a later date. Well, it shoots so well in the Rem. stock, I haven't gotten around to re-stocking it!

It has a Leupold 4.5-14X matte finish scope in Leupold rings and bases.

I have settled on H414 powder as my favorite for the .338x06. There are others that work well but I like the way H414 meters thru my measure. However, I do weigh each charge for consistency.

I use Fed. Gold Medal brass and normally, Fed. 210M primers but standard Fed. will work very well also.

My favorite load is a max charge of H414 with the Nosler 225gr. PAR bullet. My last time out with the .338x06, I shot a 5/8" 3 shot group at 100 yds. with this load. It will shoot most every load that I have tried under 1".

I also use the Nosler 210gr. PAR and I have gottem good results on paper with the Nosler 200gr. BT.

The Hornady 225gr. SP also shoots well.

Good luck with your .338x06, you'll love it. It isn't well known but it sure is a fine cartridge.

------------------
Jim - NRA Life Member

"The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others"

www.geocities.com/jimc_07874/home.html

Page generated in 0.03331 seconds with 8 queries