View Single Post
Old February 2, 2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Mike_Kobb

Browning Light 20 A-5 -- keep or sell?

Greetings!

I have a shotgun, new in box, that I inherited from my dad when he passed away several years ago. Dad got it as a gift from my grandfather. It's been in storage at my mother's place, until she moved recently. I'm trying to decide now whether to keep this gun or sell it, and I could use the help of more experienced folks in the shotgun realm.

A few things about me. I'm a competent pistol shooter and own several. Don't shoot as often as I'd like. I've taken an NRA shotgun course and had a great time shooting clays with a 12ga during the class. Didn't hit much, but that just makes me want to go back! :-)

The class was several years ago, and I honestly don't remember at this point whether we shot skeet or trap (I think trap -- I know the range offers both), and I don't even remember if the shotgun the instructor brought for the class was over/under, pump or semi-auto. I think we probably shot several of different types.

Unlike my grandfather, who was an avid bird hunter, I don't hunt and I don't plan to start. So the only use for this gun would be recreational shooting with either skeet or trap. Given my limited experience, I have no idea whether I prefer skeet, trap or both.

On to the gun. As mentioned, it's new in box. Never fired. So far as I know, never even assembled. It's a Browning Light 20 A-5. It has a 28" barrel with modified choke. The serial number is 70Z54322. It has the flat bottom on the pistol grip (not the rounded).

From the research I've been able to do, it seems like these are pretty desirable guns, especially in pristine condition, so I'm sure I could sell it for a nice price (more if it had the round bottom). I have one party interested already, in fact, although we haven't discussed price at this stage.

Given the family history with the gun, it'd be nice to keep it. But, if I'm never going to shoot it, that's a waste, and I'd rather that it went to somebody who would enjoy it.

My question, then, boils down to this: is this gun suitable for skeet and/or trap shooting? Is it something that is likely to be fun, or frustrating? Would I be better off selling this gun and buying something different?

I realize this is a broad question, and even a gun that's well-suited for the sport generally may be a poor fit for me personally (I'm 6'1", 230 for what that's worth), so this question likely doesn't have a definite answer.

I'm mostly interested in avoiding making a mistake like taking this gun out, assembling and shooting it (thereby lowering its value), and discovering that it was never going to work no matter what and I would have been better off selling it for as much as possible and using the proceeds to get something that was a better fit.

If it turns out that selling it is the way to go, can you shed a little light on appropriate value? I looked it up in a blue book, so I have an idea, but I'm interested in real world experience.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Page generated in 0.02507 seconds with 8 queries