View Single Post
Old May 9, 2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Nortonics

Here's my take:

In .45 ACP, .451 bullets are generally copper jacketed bullets. .452 are generally lead bullets. The size difference has to do with how well they'll engage and follow the barrel rifling.

Don't get the Lee Pro 1000 progressive for a few reasons: First, as a newbie reloader you really don't want to be dicking around with the complexity of a progressive press where you'll have a greater chance of accidentally loading dangerous rounds, such as a double charge. Second, the Lee Pro 1000 does not have a glowing reputation of flawless operation - just search the forums concerning this and you'll find plenty of not so serious problems with just little annoyances, such as a less than stellar ability to handle primers, both loading of new primers as well as unloading of spent primers. Not serious problems, but more along the lines of the poor priming system slowing down the whole operation.

I would HIGHLY suggest the Lee Classic Cast Turret press though, along with the Lee Safety Prime and the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure, along with their Lee Deluxe Pistol Die Sets (four dies, which includes the Lee Factory Crimp Die). This is one of two stellar presses offered by Lee, the other being the Lee Classic Cast single stage press. With the Lee Classic Cast Turret press you load your die sets into the accessory turrets, and just change out the entire turret with all dies attached - you never need to readjust your dies - truly effortless. In addition, with the recommended outfit as detailed above, you WILL be loading 250+ rounds per hour of flawless/perfect ammo, guaranteed. Check this video over at Lee to see this arrangement in action:

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/Hel...20turret-1.wmv

Be sure you choose the Classic Cast press and not the original turret press - the Classic cast is made of iron, not aluminum, and the primer system is superior.

You will not find a better press for the money, period, and I'll back that up against anybodies recommendation, period. It's the perfect press for a newbie, and will be one of the best presses you'll ever use even as a more accomplished reloader. Obviously you don't know me from squat, but trust me on this one and you will not regret it.

And one last thing, because it is not clearly spelled out in any of the Lee documentation - if you do in fact go with my recommendation above, you must also purchase the Lee powder die riser as it is required in order for the powder hopper of the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure to clear the Lee Safety Prime as the entire turret rotates - look closely at the video above and you'll see it in place.

P.S. - lead or copper - yes, lead bullets are more dangerous for your lung health, but if you shoot an indoor range with a good ventilation system pulling the fumes away from you (down range) it should not be a worry. As well, outdoor shooting of lead bullets is pretty safe too. In all instances though, wash your hands well after reloading and shooting lead only bullets.

And as far as shooting metal targets, you'll want to try and always use lead instead of copper plated as you will experience less fragments coming back to hit you and others in the vicinity.

Page generated in 0.02647 seconds with 8 queries