Thread: .45 auto
View Single Post
Old February 15, 1999, 01:25 PM   #2
Jim V

Gregg, I can not see how opening the ejection port would improve feeding. Flairing the port helps save cases from damage if you reload.

Which round do you have problems with? The first out of a magazine, the second shot the 5th shot or does it change? What type of feed problems are you having, smoke stack, double feed, or what? Do the failures to feed happen with all magazines or just one? Have you tried several different magazines by different makers? A lot of feed problems are the result of magazines that have been damamged or the feed lips not being formed just right. What ammo do you have the problems with? Short stubby wide mouth JHP's feed differently than 230 grain FMJ's. When the smith polished the feed ramp did he just polish or did he take a little too much off and the barrel is now sitting back to far for the rounds to feed correctly?

Do you have much experience in shooting a 1911? Are you causing the problem by allowing your thumb to rest on the slide during firing? Or are you limp wristing your shots, i.e. not keeping your wrist locked?

Does the gunsmith you are taking the pistol to know, I mean KNOW 1911's? The guy that has worked on 3 - 5 1911's is not going to have the experience of one that has worked on 300 - 500 1911's. The second smith will ahve faced the problems you are having and should have an idea how to fix 'em.

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited February 15, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03068 seconds with 8 queries