View Single Post
Old March 20, 2013, 03:12 PM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris

...Pass state laws disallowing the expenditure of state or local government funds to maintain or compile "any" firearms registry.

It's my understanding that past SCOTUS precedent makes it quite clear that the Feds cannot compel state or local governments to spend money, and that this is far more legally ironclad than laws intended to directly inhibit the enforcement of federal law. It seems to me that this concept would not run afoul of the Supremacy Clause if such state laws are passed prior to the implementation of a federal registry...
And I think you're correct. Certainly there is good precedent for the proposition that the federal government may not compel a State to spend money or resources to administer a federal law.

So if the political environment in a State is such that a state law as you suggest could be enacted, that is a very good way to actually achieve the purpose. And this is a good example of how understanding the reality of things can help find effective ways of furthering particular interests.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03015 seconds with 8 queries