View Single Post
Old June 1, 2011, 11:05 AM   #14
BigJimP

As we go thru this stuff ....we need good info ...your original note said clayboys ??? and I had no idea what you were using / and now its claybusters/which is good ...and a claybuster CB1100-12 is a replacement wad for WAA12SL in the formulas. Claybuster wads are fine - they use recycled plastic / so they're cheaper ....and that's not a bad thing. When you pattern your gun / you might get a few more flyers ...maybe not..but a lot of guys use claybuster wads. Winchester, Remington and Duster - all use plastics that are a little thicker / and they load a little more consistently.

Remington Gun club hulls and Rem STS hulls take the same components and recipes. The difference is the gun club hulls will not last as long as the STS - but they are not an issue.

Nothing wrong with Alliant powders - but I would recommend switching your 12ga loads to Hodgdon Clays ( its a lot easier to find in 8 lb kegs - in most areas) - and I think it burns cleaner than most other options / but like I said, I have no info on the powder you chose. A bushing throwing 17.0 to 17.6 is quite a bit of variation / it tells me you might have a static problem / because most any bushing will have a variation of no more than 0.1 grain ...and while 0.6 probably isn't dangerous / it may be an indication that you have some adjustments to make in the press or a static problem ( wipe down the plastic bottles,etc / make sure the bar is traveling its full intended length / consider installing a powder baffle ...) - and the owners manual will walk you thru all that stuff ( and you can get them online from MEC - if you don't have one ).

As you go thru this process - its probably costing you about $ 0.15 to reload a 12ga shell. 8 cents is from the cost of the shot ( so most of us use 1 oz or 7/8oz ), powder and primers are about $ 0.03 each / and a wad is about
$ 0.02 each ....so buy in bulk once you settle on recipe and components you like ( primers in case lots of 5,000 / powder in 8lb kegs / wads in 5,000 qty and it'll help you keep your costs down.

But talk to other shooters / see what they're using and why / what they like, etc ...and no matter what, have fun with this new process of reloading !!

Page generated in 0.03391 seconds with 8 queries