View Single Post
Old August 23, 2008, 04:42 PM   #19
ChicagoTex

I, too, am a cross-dominant freak of nature (right handed, left-eyed) and as others have said, it's really not an issue with handguns.

I tried going to the "shoot long guns left handed" route as that's what all the bastions of wisdom told me to do, I just couldn't get the knack of it. So I shoot right-handed and close my left eye - works with all sight types and while my vision in my right eye isn't as sharp as my left, it's enough to get it done.

To enlighten you a little on the condition: it has to do with how your brain is wired, and which eye it receives "information" from first - it's not really possible to retrain this (it's theoretically possible, but would require years of keeping your dominant eye closed, and even then results are extremely unpredictable). The biggest downside to not favoring your dominant-eye side with long guns is that using the sights with both eyes open is impossible - I frequently use this as an excuse not to buy all the fancy tactical stuff like EOTechs and Aimpoints that are constantly espousing this as a key feature.

And as with most things, it's easier to make the switch the younger you are - I volunteered with a youth shooting camp a couple of years that frequently converted 12-14 year olds to shooting left handed within a matter of hours or, at most, days. By the time I identified that I, myself, was cross-dominant I was at least 18 and I just can't get used to shooting lefty...

Page generated in 0.02409 seconds with 8 queries