View Single Post
Old August 1, 2008, 10:16 AM   #1
the_pragmaticist

Identifying the threat

This gets covered but I've not seen any recent discussion and after reading a few stories on various boards I've been thinking about it a lot.

On June 13, a man was robbed and shot. He made a half dozen major mistakes and I'd like to think most of us would handle the situation better, although he's got a lot more training than many CHL holders. The article doesn't say if he was armed or not - I am assuming he wasn't.

So here's the obvious conundrum: Put yourself in his shoes, but definitely armed. At what point in that encounter do you draw? What if the BG's pistol had come out before the second request for money? Clearly this was going to be a casual murder (two minutes from my house, I might add) as the BG attempted to shoot the defender in the head after shooting him once in the gut. There's no rationale to deal with that sort of person so in my mind, the only escape was a defensive shooting. The truck may have been running which would make for an effective weapon as well.

Personally, I would have been moving quickly to close the door and get my car in gear as soon as I was approached by pretty much anyone at a gas station. There's no reason for social contact in that situation and it makes me uneasy when anyone gets near me there. The problem is knowing when to draw (which means you're probably about to shoot the guy). If he's got his weapon out, it's too late already.

Page generated in 0.03587 seconds with 8 queries