View Single Post
Old March 25, 2005, 09:48 PM   #3
swsurgeon

I have the 3" Trail Boss with the ported barrel. I have several longer-barreled 44s, so I carry this one only for emergency use. I fired some 320gr Cor Bon hardcasts over my friend's chrono, then we fired some through his 4" unported Mountain Gun. My revolver averaged around 1075fps and he got closer to 1150fps. I've fired both guns a fair amount and recoil seems relatively comparable. For emergency use at 20-30yds or less, accuracy is also pretty close. If I were to do it again, I might consider the Mountain Gun just to get the extra 75fps. Oddly, my friend likes the Trail Boss better. I guess the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence!

I like the looks and feel of the scandium 44 with the 4" barrel but have not shot one. It would be easy to carry but at 26 oz, I imagine recoil is quite sharp.

I've never fired any 44 without very good ear protection so it's hard for me to say whether the ported 3" is really that much worse than the unported 4". I imagine that shooting in an emergency without ear protection, the ported 3" would hurt more.

Page generated in 0.02244 seconds with 8 queries