Warne Tactical 1 piece base
10-rd, detachable box magazine
Magpul MS QD Sling

Sighted in at 200y
Barness TTSX, 165gn
8208 XBR powder, CCI BR2 primers, Lake City Brass
0.10" OFF lands
Scope left on 8x

Well after 3 years of being skunked, this was the year...finally!

First trip out in September (Region 3) saw a couple of Muley spikers but it was 4 points or better. At least we got 3 grouse, which was better than the previous years.

Second trip out, nada, nothing but rain (Region 2)

October, third trip out in Region 8 produced a fine little Muley buck...being my first I'll take it! Thankfully it's any buck in October and this showed itself as we left our hunting area and were driving back down the Mountain. I glanced up the hillside and made him out watching us, perfect broadside. I carefully got out of the truck, raised the Leupold RX-800i TBR rangefinder (best investment I made) and got 123y TRUE distance. Since I've already done load development and memorized the ballistics to 500y from my 'Shooter' ballistics app for iPhone, I knew the shot would be only a couple inches high, so adjusted for it. [All the prep is moot if it wasn't for a great hunting mentor taking me out and sharing his collective experience/wisdom]

I braced the rifle, put the dot just behind the leg (heart/lung) and gently squeezed the trigger...and squeezed the trigger...and forcefully squeezed the trigger...and !!! took the safety off...and gently squeezed the trigger - thank the Lord the deer froze like a zombie never moving, remaining almost perfectly broadside the whole time BOOM, still watching through scope as deer instantly dropped on front legs, then rest of body! Wow, being a person of faith, I first thanked God (for how perfect it all turned out), then my hunting partner/mentor My mentor took me through the field dressing (heart was obliterated, lung massive trauma, with a higher exit due to angle)) and we brought it back to Page Creek Cooler in Abbotsford, great guy and nice setup!

Needless to say, this experience made me believe far more in the adage about shot placement over magnumitis (even though I do want a 300WSM)!

LESSONS LEARNED (among many not listed):
  • I learned from last year that this 'target' shooter NEEDS a rangefinder! Embarassingly enough my hunter buddy and I BOTH missed a deer last year due to ranging error. I was sighted in at 300y, he at 100. We both estimated the range by a large margin of error. This year, I bought a True Distance, rangefinder. You need horizontal range (physics of flight) to estimate bullet drop, not the actual range to target (on slopes). The further the distance, any slope will intensify ranging error (even with a non-true rangefinder). I would recommend the Leupold RX-800i TBR rangefinder to anyone, it is that good at a decent price.
  • Rifle performed flawlessly, shooter...remember the safety if you're using it
  • Shot placement is more important than massive trauma in the wrong place.
  • Get a rifle that fits need. It's hard to jump out of a truck and get setup with a heavy rifle (it can be done but...). My dream is sniper style hunting from high vantage (perfect for my tac setup) but reality is I go with low patience road hunters on day trips (only thing we can do for now) Mountainous Southern BC is not exactly clearcut or meadow heaven. Now I want to get a lightweight hunting rig.
  • Learned more about myself too - limitations, what I'm good at and that shooting nor field dressing bothered me at all. I actually felt worse having to kill a rabbit suffering from disease or something on my dad's acreage the day after my hunt. Guess I still have a conscience when it comes to suffering But this is also made me realize that hunting should be as ethical as possible, meaning shooter skill, proper equipment and shooting (notice I didn't say range, as that's your call to shoot within your skill level).

Already can't wait for the next one now Peace.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by miykael; October 23, 2013 at 01:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.02408 seconds with 8 queries