View Single Post
Old March 12, 2009, 10:21 PM   #35
Lost Sheep

22 Rimfire vs Pointy Stick

Thanks, AZAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAK;
Do a little surfing and you will find accounts. Inuit. I spent time living in the bush, and heard accounts. The original native Alaskans used long sharp sticks, prior to the introduction of the .22, to hunt polar bear. From what I have heard, and can imagine, I would take a .22 bolt rifle over a long pointy stick.
I will poke around the internet. I suppose the keywords will be ".22", "Rimfire" and "Polar Bear"? Any other suggestions?

Those Inuits (and others) were pretty cagey, and they had some pretty good pointy sticks.

I will share one story I heard of a hunter who came across a polar bear, but was not properly dressed to be able to stalk it on the ice. (His clothes were too dark). So, he lay down on the ice. Every once in a while he would raise his head (just like a seal does when napping on the ice, keeping watch for polar bears). Every time he raised his head the polar bear (getting closer each time) would stop and cover his nose. The bear figured he was getting over on this seal, and stalked the hunter until the tables were turned.

Precious story, and a lot better told by the guy I heard if from (Richard Nelson, ENCOUNTERS on National Public Radio) than I told it here.

I will go search the web now.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02677 seconds with 8 queries