View Single Post
Old May 1, 2006, 12:21 PM   #13
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Sitting duck. Having a firearm without ammo is not having a firearm . Actually, it's worse than that. If the worst happens and you need a weapon, your training will instinctively have you reaching for a gun. That's time lost until you remember, and try to think of another weapon.

I'm guessing I have between five and six thousand rounds of various and sundry caliber factory ammo around somewhere, not counting the loose rounds lying on the laundry table, nightstand, kitchen counter, and everywhere else I happen to empty my pockets . If the reloads drop below about 3000, it's time to start cranking the Dillon again (which I need to do right now, if I could just find the time ). Understand, the purpose of all this isn't soley defensive. I just hate taking the time to stop by Wally World on my way to the range .

One thing I got in the habit of is having all of my guns loaded, all the time. They're loaded going to the range; there's always one loaded mag on the range; they're loaded going home, and they're loaded at home. That's everything from the wall-mounted Win. 94 in my den to the 1911 in my desk drawer to the Colt snubbie hidden by the front door. They're dispersed throughout the house so that I'm never more than two arms reach from one, but then, I live alone, so I don't have to worry about young and curious minds poking around.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.02742 seconds with 8 queries